Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Major update soon

Since my last post, I've given birth to my baby girl. Charlotte was born December 3rd!

My next website update will be a brief one, as soon as I can find the external drive on which it's saved. At some point in the next month or two, I have several items to add. A Titanic Flying gown, a black silk corset, an Edwardian gown (just need to finish the beaded trim on that one), a water birth gown (that ended up not used because, well, when in labor, you really don't care about looking pretty), a Christmas baby dress and a family set of three stockings, and an Eowyn gown.

I've got the Titanic Swim gown in progress (the sizing for it keeps changing!), and a mother/daughter regency set (deliver-by date: February 28th) and two dresses for another little girl (deliver-by date: February 21st) in queue for the next couple months.

March through August are fairly open just two rather simply orders, the Titanic Breakfast gown and Kimono, though I may have a Hermione Yule Ball gown (from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), a Titanic corset, a Don Juan (film version of Phantom of the Opera) custom wedding gown, and a Princess Diaries gown for this later spring and summer.

Next fall and winter are going to be very busy seasons. Two fully-beaded Titanic gowns and two wedding gowns with the entire bridal party for at least the second included. For January of next year, there's a possibility of another Princess Diaries gown.

As I can fit it in, I will continue working on the Titanic Flying gown patterns and work on a line of spring/summer cotton dressed inspired by Disney characters that was inspired by a dress I saw on etsy. The main color for easy dress would be white with the underskirt and top of the boddice/sleeves being a different color.

The Disney-inspired line will be aimed at adults, which adds a challenge. It's easy to get away with the princess elements for a child's dress. Adding most of these elements to an adult's dress makes it look like...a child's dress. I've completed the Belle dress (though it's not blue or yellow!), and have the Ariel designed. They'll all be very similar in design, easy to tell they're part of the same collection, with the main variations being the skirt and waist embroidery. I've got ideas for Pocahontas, though am still utterly clueless about Cinderella, Jasmine, Mulan, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Tatiana. I still need to see Princess and the Frog, so that may help with the Tatiana dress. Jasmine and Mulan seem like they'd be easier to design by studying a bit more about the garb from the countries those stories take place in, though this would require walking a fine line between inspiration and having people froth at the mouth at me for misappropriating a sacred detail or something, though Disney already did a good enough job at slaughtering the garb of those countries. But Disney parks are fun, so it seems Disney is let off the hook in a way I wouldn't be.

If the potential orders come to fruition, then I likely will not accept orders for gowns more complex than fairly basic gowns for the next year. Without a baby, I'd be fine packing my order schedule to the gills. But I've got to have enough time for my little girl first. Her care is more important than anything, so most sewing will be done when her daddy is home, cutting down the hours I can reliably sew in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment